Wednesday 8 August 2012

Response: Powerpoint

This article was very important for me, because I have been reflecting on my use of Powerpoint and other information delivery devices during my practicum.  The author points out that powerpointlessness may stem from the delivery of the presentation or the Powerpoint presentation itself.  In some cases, maybe both.  Powerpoint seems to be the fastest way to get information to students and along with many other educators I did not have enough time for students to obtain the information in class, themselves, in other ways.  I used Prezi quite heavily, and I found that I overused the zoom function and became a bit zoom-happy to the chagrin of my students.  However since I used Prezi to showcase one word or more at a time, it really helped students remember certain points.  On the other hand, I wonder if I have become dependent on these information delivery devices.  As my school advisor said, a teacher worth their weight in gold needs only a piece of chalk and a chalkboard.  In that vein, I need to be aware of this so that I don't lean on technology in ways that make me become complacent.

No comments:

Post a Comment